Monday 23 April 2007

Momiji Dolls - Live Brief



Went to visit a client today for a live project I've been working on since January. The brief was to design a set of six japanese street fashion dolls and provide 2D diagrams for the sculptors. I thought it would be an interesting avenue to investigate since I'm mulling over ways to make the toys for my FMP. I was incredibly pleased to discover that the sculptor translated my drawings identically into 3D. Unfortunately he's based in Hong Kong and the production process would be unfeasible to use for my FMP. I did try to research the process to see if I could DIY similar methods for my gashapon toys. These figures were sculpted from clay, moulded and resin cast (heavier than plastic), then hand painted. As a result of the meeting I've been given another brief to design the packaging.

9 comments:

gdcom student said...

Actually it would be really cool if you could do exactly that! It's how i imagined them from the beginning but as i read very difficult to get them done professionally...
And yeah! what is this other live project you're doing?
Maybe you can have two like pedro?
Cristina

gdcom student said...

Oh wow Joanna, they are cute to the extreame

gdcom student said...

Hi, can I get these 2 images of Japanese fashion dolls as a jpeg (high res).
GTs

Aleister Kelman said...

Hmmm... if you could do this it would be a stunner to have dolls close to that quality in the show. Is it even remotely possible to attempt it yourself? Perhaps with the help of someone London based involved in a similar practice.

Lovely stuff! I didn't know about this job previously.

gdcom student said...

They are fabulous! And absolutely 'you' to a T! Can you get me one!? Such a pity that the same manufacturering cannot be used, they look so professional.

Melissa

gdcom student said...

Hey Jo, your dolls look really cool, where are they gonna be sold? You should send this to anna to put in the free lance section of the brighter journal.
Asya

koalapuff said...

Thanks everyone!! I have decided to incorporate this into my FMP...have permission from GTS and I'm just waiting for confirmation from the client. If they agree then I'll definitely contact Ana about it!

Ravi Sohanpal said...

Continuing from the last post...stamps etc may complicate things but I think you should have a small leaflet of the other figures you can collect alongside the toy, like Kinder Eggs. It might just be me but i love a small piece of graphics with a toy like this- it completes the experience and leaves you yearning for the others you don't have! Or are you already doing this anyway?

koalapuff said...

Ravi you read my mind! I was just deciding yesterday what sort of printed material to include inside. I'll be going with a label that has information about the contained character on one side, and a 'catalogue' of the others on the reverse. Plus a little card pimping the Momiji Dolls so I can tie both projects together!